Drawing with chalk outside allows children to explore and feel a sense of freedom. It also helps little ones develop fine motor skills – perfect for getting them school-ready!
Top tip!Encourage the children to draw out in the open if you’d like the rain to wash all the chalk away for you!
- Giant pavement chalks
About the activity
Provide some giant chalks in a variety of colours for the children to draw with. They’ll most likely know exactly what they feel like drawing and where, but here are some ideas to get them started:
- If you have a paved driveway or patio, fill in each slab with a different colour.
- Draw crosses on some paving slabs and only step on the slabs without crosses.
- Draw a Hopscotch grid together, then have fun hoping and jumping!
- Take turns to create wiggly mazes that lead to flowerbeds and pot plants.
- Lie on the ground and chalk around each other, then stand up and complete the picture by drawing the hair, face and clothes.